Helping Children on and off the Bus Safely
Taking your child to the bus stop in the morning and waiting on the correct side of the road for the bus to arrive
- Never leave young children alone at the bus stop
- Wait a safe distance away from the road at the bus stop
- When the bus arrives at the stop, make sure the driver can see your child at all times
- Make sure they have their bus pass or money ready for the driver
Meeting your child at the bus stop in the afternoon and waiting on the side of the road the bus stops on
- Be on time when meeting your child
- Move away from the bus when you have met your child at the bus door
- Wait until the bus has driven away and until there is plenty of visibility in both directions before crossing any road. Remember to Stop! Look! Listen! Think!
one step back from the kerb
continuously both ways
for the sounds of approaching traffic
whether it is safe to cross and keep checking until safely across
By following these simple suggestions, you can help us keep your children safe.
Care for Children
We are very aware of the need to care for children travelling on our buses. When children get onto the wrong school bus, the driver will contact the depot or arrange to transfer the child to the correct bus or keep them on the bus until the bus returns to the depot. We will contact you where we have been provided with contact details.
PLEASE ADVISE CHILDREN NOT TO GET OFF THE BUS ANYWHERE OTHER THAN THEIR CORRECT BUS STOP.
In adverse weather conditions contact the office for any timetable changes and/or check the website.
Informal School Bus Stops
Informal bus stops are not signposted and are usually found in rural areas. They may be at the front of a property, or on the side of the road, which may make children difficult to see.
Leave plenty of space when you’re driving or stopped around buses, to keep children safe and improve bus drivers’ vision of the road environment.
Transport for NSW develops and produces the following road safety education resources to help improve the safety of all school students in NSW.
- For NSW Primary Students visit the Safety Town website
- For Secondary Schools visit the On The Move Secondary Road Safety Education
- Agent Walker: Operation Safe Transit bus safety video below was produced for school students in years 5 and 6, who are starting to gain independence, and their teachers, parents and carers